Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is my mash ready to run

Default all the help

Quote Originally Posted by Bamadan View Post
    Bill
    There is a world of help on this forum and I have found that everyone here is very nice and have good advice. The main point that I will express to you is patience !! I know when I began many years ago, I was in a hurry for my final product. When I finally got to taste it, I thought(thats awful)man I need to find another hobby. It will improve with experience though.
    Listen in particular Mountainwalker and Wineo, have not seen Wineo around for some time but he is one of the professors too!!
    Boy, I hope mine dosent turn out to bad, Your 100% right wineo & MW have been whats keeping me form going nuts, I would hate to have to tell them that my first run of ,as wineo would say "Hoooch" turned out more like "Poooop" after all there help they may make me drink it any way as to teach me a lession, ya know "if you dont do it wright, that what you get" make ya kinda not wanna do that again.

Default wash

Well, I just racked my first wash the one with corn in it, the SG idown to.995 it smells like old beer, hope thats write. well we will see.

Well, I just racked my first wash the one with corn in it, the SG idown to.995 it smells like old beer, hope thats write. well we will see.
    Bill. Just a caution. My house is all of a sudden full of fruit flies from some fresh fruit. Can't remember your OG and hence what your ABV is, but watch out if you don't distill soon that it might turn to vinegar. You could sulfite it or such to protect it, or later when you have some high octane add that of the same flavor. Wade can advise you on how to protect it better than I.

Add some water and sugar to that trub ( the dregs at the bottom to keep it alive till you get some new percentage grains and backset added if interested in the sour mash. Keep the yeast alive.

Old beer is exactly what you have. Past its time to bottle and corn at that. But this is for whiskey.

Unhappy oh no

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwalker2 View Post
    Bill. Just a caution. My house is all of a sudden full of fruit flies from some fresh fruit. Can't remember your OG and hence what your ABV is, but watch out if you don't distill soon that it might turn to vinegar. You could sulfite it or such to protect it, or later when you have some high octane add that of the same flavor. Wade can advise you on how to protect it better than I.

Add some water and sugar to that trub ( the dregs at the bottom to keep it alive till you get some new percentage grains and backset added if interested in the sour mash. Keep the yeast alive.

Old beer is exactly what you have. Past its time to bottle and corn at that. But this is for whiskey.
    I already disgarded the stuff that was in the bottom of the tub. I only have what I sifined out , and I strained that through a pillow case. I hope you not going to tell me I screwed it up any way. After all that help you guys gave me.

To protect 5-6 gallons for a awhile add 1/4 tsp of m-meta( also known as potassium metabisulfite, sodium metabisulfite) Campden tablets are made from both of these and are just in tablet form so you could add 1 of these tablets per gallon to dter bacteria from forming. You should always add this after fermentation is done if you are not immediatley going to distill.
    Id rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!