PDA

View Full Version : sweet feed whiskey

kc-fan
02-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Does anyone have a good sweet feed recipe for Whiskey? There is one posted on the net - but it calls for 5gallon bucket of sweet feed. Doesn't seam to be room for much else - or is this for a larger batch?

mtnwalker2
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Does anyone have a good sweet feed recipe for Whiskey? There is one posted on the net - but it calls for 5gallon bucket of sweet feed. Doesn't seam to be room for much else - or is this for a larger batch?

I would forget the sweet feed. All that I have bought for my animals contains powdered mollasses, bacteria and mold inhibiters and other addatives you might not want.

Do a search in recipe section or google: UJSM (Uncle Jessie sour mash) a corn sour mash recipe, and also DWWG death wish wheat germ.

Both are easy and make good drinking whiskey.

Bamadan
02-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I ran a sweet feed recipe once. You only need about 1/4 5 gallon bucket of sweet feed. But you are wasting your time. Very difficult to strain before loading. Very, very messy. Never ran again.ê╚ê

scotty
07-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Horse feed--the cheapest is good. The 5 gallon bucket recipe is good but it is just written incorrectly.

5 gallons water but in the bottom of the bucket just put about 4 inches of the feed. My buddy paul uses horse feed because horses are extremely sensative animals and horse feed is safe.

He mashes the feed rather than just let it sit in the buckes as that recipe calls for.
He has been doing it for years. Ive been researchubg horse feed and dont find any embalming stuff in it--6.50 for unfortified feed and 10.50 for fortified feed--We dont need fortified feed. Soonas i run my irish whiskey, im going to get a 50 pound bag of horse feed

I use a grain bag when i mash.

Ozark
07-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Yep Scotty Sweet Horse feed mash is my favorite.
about 4 inches in the 5 gallon bucket is right more can be better but not much more.
The feed I buy is made locally in Mo.
Mostly corn oats barley and molasses.
I use Liquor Quik Superyeast X-press
definitely a good strainer is needed so the feed doesn't enter the pot or you risk a scorch taste from grains sitting on the pot floor.
Again cheap, good taste, jug

mtnwalker2
07-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Hey, Scottie and Ozark,

I love the smell of the stuff, and have fed it to my milk cows, horses and deer. So am curious.

How do you mash it? How long a boil, do you add acid, mash with malted barley, add sugar? Whats the OSG reading for your ferment. What kind of yield do you get for the hearts?

Or are you doing an uncooked wash with added sugar like the UJSM method?

scotty
07-28-2009, 05:20 PM
ozark does it all the time

I will do it in a few weeks. I plan to use 2 pounds per gallon and mash at 165 degrees for 90 minutes-- i will not add sugar this first run but i expect the P.A, to be around 7%.. Then i will ferment wit ec1118 till dry- I will make a pot still run and maybe a second run-I'm not sure. Ill have to chat with Ozark about that.

Ozark
07-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Measure your sweet feed
transfer to a SS pot add 3 gallons of fresh water bring to 160-170 temp for 45-60 minutes
transfer to 6 gallon fermenter let cool to 80-90
fill fermenter to 5 gallon level with lukewarm fresh water
add yeast give it a fair stir
keep room temps at near 70
cover or use an air lock but watch for air lock blockage regularly
5-7 days strain well
add to the pot

I like the horse feed best as it has no additives for this recipe, some feeds do contain Medication you don't want so check the ingredients label

I've got a link to a similar recipe if you want but sugar is added.

I make for taste not volume or high proof.

Just an old mans drink ya know

mtnwalker2
07-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Ozark, I definately agree with going for flavor.

However, I am still confused on several points. First, you are not gelatinizing the starches, particularly in the corn. Then, are you adding enzymes, like malted barley at the 160° temp. range to convert the starch to sugars?

But then again, if you are haveing it custom made, perhaps you have a heck of a lot of mollasses added? What I get in bags here doesn't.

Even so, seems like it would be very hard to exceed 2% ABV for the ferment?

Agreed, that would give super flavor, just not much yield for all the work.

Please advise.

Ozark
07-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Well its not a custom blend but locally ground mix and yes im guessing a healthy portion of molasses.
Corn is broken, oats are rolled as is the barely
Molasses is most likely more of a beet sugar I guess.
On that run I yield a pint maybe just more
Ya all talk avb and avg heck I don't know
I just go by sight and smell
just me bein me ya know

scotty
07-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Well its not a custom blend but locally ground mix and yes im guessing a healthy portion of molasses.
Corn is broken, oats are rolled as is the barely
Molasses is most likely more of a beet sugar I guess.
On that run I yield a pint maybe just more
Ya all talk avb and avg heck I don't know
I just go by sight and smell
just me bein me ya know

When i try the horse feed ill go by the book-- but paul has been doing it his way and quite succesfully for some time now. he is not trying to squeak every drop of alcohol out of the grains. ill do that when i make my mash then paul and i will have something to yack about

turkeycrusher
02-27-2010, 03:50 PM
4 Inches in a five gallon bucket of sweet feed and 5 pounds of sugar, add boiling water about half full let stand 1 hour or so until cooled to 90 degrees add turbo yeast 5-7 days strain well and run, really good stuff

LWTCS
02-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Don't understand the need for turbo with grain.

.............Don't understand the need for turbo.

Try that recipe with bakers yeast (or the like) and I recon you'll like it more (or not).

heeler
06-23-2010, 01:39 PM
I was a big believer in turbos --until-- I went with bakers yeast. It really does have a diff and better flavor. I know turbos have all the nutrients and thats all well and good but you can buy a jug of nutrients of you must have em. And I know you get more and higher proof hooch, but it suffers the off flavors. I guess with sugar washes a turbo would be fine but with grains - its something worth trying.
Bakers will be done in 5-8 days but Turbos will take 2 weeks and some to finish and clear. to each his own.

heeler
07-01-2010, 12:23 PM
OK ---- with the sweetfeed recipe, I just finished my second generation and the third is now fermenting. I don't think I got THAT much flavor, I am running a gooseneck tower w/ thumper. In the second wash I put 1.5 gallons of backset and started the next wash. I added all but 1 pint of the distillate from the first run back to the next run in the boiler. So after the second run I took 1.5 gallons of backset and added to the next wash.(3rd wash)
So from the first run I kept 1 pint of hearts and added all the rest back to next run.
Second run added wash and all distillate from previous.
Second run kept 1 pint of hearts and took 1.5 gallons of backset for the next wash.
Not earth shaking like I've had read but TIME might be the answer. Oaking 2 pints now with one more wash to run. Hoping for the best.

heeler
07-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Ok finally got the last wash ran. (3rd generation) I did get some flavor carryover - smelled pretty good. The final quantity was almost 2 qt.s for ageing and 1 qt of feints. I cut the hearts to 60%, carbon filtered, covered with a cloth to air out for at least 3 days and then I will add oak and maybe a clove or two. It does have a pretty nice aroma and whilst it was coming off it did seem ok. Only time will tell. I can definatley see the need for adding backset to the next wash as a flavor enhancer. With this amount of whiskey sitting around , wont have to do this again for awhile.

scotty
05-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Finally after some health problems i got back to the feed store. A 50 pound bag of horse feed is about $7.50 now.
I may try and mash with it. Its not malted and im wondering if i should crush the grains.
i really need to get to it as soon as we finish our custom grain bag.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/slowpoke59ds/THE%20IRISH%20WHISKEY%20PROJECT/DSCF0004.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/slowpoke59ds/THE%20IRISH%20WHISKEY%20PROJECT/DSCF0003.jpg

cradyl
06-12-2011, 12:41 PM
hello i'm new to this...i made my first batch of rum last week...now i'm looking for a simple recipe for whiskey.can anyone help me.

murphy
08-27-2011, 02:52 PM
I highly recommend the sweet feed version over all others. folks who have tasted this whiskey,rave about it. a 50 pound bag will run about 13.00 which is many gallons of finished product. first,order a good WHISKY turbo yeast. next, put 4 inches of the feed into a clean 5 gallon bucket. pour 3 gallons of warm water over the mix and let stand overnight. the next day strain off the liquid into another clean bucket,leaving ALL the grains and solids behind. now, using large grain bags, scoop out all the solids into roughly 4 large bags. in 2 more gallons of water,steep all these bags of grain. temp should be between 150-170 degrees for about a half hour to extract the sugars from the grains and corn and all the other solids. let the mix cool,and when room temp. add this to the first bucket of liquid. now there is some opinions about wheather to add sugar now or later. my personal experence says go ahead and add 17.5 pounds of white cane sugar to this mix stirring until all sugar is dissolved. let this mixture sit until your tubo yeast arrives. add the turbo yeast and bring the water level up to within a couple of inches from the top of the bucket. I personally don't use the 3-piece air-lock but I use a hose fitted to the bucket lid running into a gallon jug with about 2 inches of water in the jug. fermentation is going to be VIOLENT and the bubbler just will not work that well. let ferment for the full two days per yeast instructions.this should yeald 15-20% alcohol. strain off into your distiller leaving behind any lees in the bottom of the bucket. this should do it. for the very best results save all the finished alcohol and distill this again. this will make a good whiskey. I triple distill mine and cut the finished product with filtered water to produce 150 proof. this recipe works very well....good luck!!

Raze
11-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Grain Bags?

murphy
11-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Sorry it took so long to respond..If you haven't found your answer yet, grain bags are used in the making of beer to steep the grains in so you don"t have a bunch of loose grains in the bottom of the cooking pot. You can get them from most wine and beer making shops. My favorite place to shop is William's brewing supplies. thanks for your question.

Fusefinder
04-02-2012, 12:26 PM
I tried the recipe below and must have done something terribly wrong! My wife hated the smell while it fermented, in the basement. She said it smelled like puke fermenting, distilling, and after aging. Any ideas on what was wrong with the recipe?
First off for me the feed had to be split between two 5 gallon buckets , the other ingredients were as listed below per 5 gallon bucket added more surgar though.

This is for 5 gallons of Sweet Whisky Mash.

Ingredients Needed:
10 # Sweet Horse Feed (NON Medicated!) Available at Tractor Farm Supply or your local Grain Elevator.
5 # Pure Cane Sugar (NOT Beat Sugar).
1 # lbs. Mated Barley
2 Packs Fleishman’s or Red Start Backers Yeast.
¼ # Toasted American White Oak Sticks.

Mix Mated barley with the Sweet Feed mix in 20qt pot and then cover with water. Let soak until grains are getting soft.

Run grain through a blender make sure you have enough water to make a cream corn consistency. To little water and the mixture will not blend.

Put on stove and heat to 165 degrees for 20 min. Add water as necessary to keep a thick soup consistency. Stir constantly. Do not let bottom burn or scorch. Let cool to room temperature. Add 5 # of Cain sugar. Make sure sugar is dissolved in mixture.

Proof Yeast, In 8qt bowl add 2 Tbsp. of sugar to 1pt of warm water about 85 to 90 degrees. Mix and dissolve sugar. Sprinkle yeast over top and let stand in warm place out of sunlight for 20 min. If yeast rises, bubbles and foams it is ready. If not Try new yeast and repeat this process.

Put mixture in fermenter and pitch proofed yeast. Attach your air lock. A bubbler bottle is not required for this ferment. Place fermenter in warm place 72 to 80 degrees. Let ferment for 4 to 5 days or done bubbling completely. Strain through Nylons (panty hose).

Place strained mash in your distillation boiler and distill. After distillation is complete Carbon Filter desolate.
Place in 1qt mason jars with 3 sticks of Toasted American Oak Sticks, Put in freezer over night and then place in warm area during the day. We recommend doing this 3 days or until desired color is achieved. Remove Oak Sticks and filter through coffee filter to remove any particles. Cut to desired potency with distilled water. We like to use 1/3 water to cut.

heeler
04-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Fusefinder..you kinda made that recipe hard on your self. You did'nt really stick to the recipe but I 'm not saying its wrong just different. 10lbs of sweetfeed does sound like alot for this but I dont really know how much 4 inches of sweetfeed weighs. Oh and I too have had them that smelled like puke.
A sweetfeed hooch is really a sugar head likker with the feed to give a mollasses flavor to the finished product. It really is simpler than what you described. Dont know if you are familiar with Homedistillers website but go there and look under the tried and true recipes also I think on this site you can find that recipe somewhere. I know you asked if you should rerun it and I would try too. Try this recipe next time.
4 inches of feed in bucket
5 lbs of sugar melted in 2 or 3 gallons of really hot water
a squirt of lemon juice and 3 beannos in the sugar water
a spoonfull of epsom salt added to the water
pour the water on the feed after everything is melted and givera good stir
top off with cool water and when its cooled enough not to kill your yeast, add it and letter go until done fermenting then still it. Its really that simple.:rolleyes:

Fusefinder
04-03-2012, 11:51 AM
This was the recipe I had at the time. I saw the recipe that you spoke of as well as many others at Homedistillers website and have picked up numerous tips and ideas from them, a lot after the fact... but there is a learning curve right!

What have you done to clean out the puke smell in your batches?

heeler
04-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Ff..ya know I think I remember that the nasty aroma of puke did'nt carry over to the finished product. Its been quit some time since that happened to me but I most probably did'nt dump it out. If you do run it and it still smells try a carbon filter and see if that helps.
When you rerun it add the distillate to your boiler with more water than hooch.
I.E. 1 gallon of distillate and 4 gallons of water or somewhere around that ration. That will prolly clean it up too. Let us know how it comes out.

Fusefinder
04-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the input! I am beginning to think I cut the process short, (need to do another run or two). I carbon filtered 2X and that took out a lot of odor and cleaned it up. I will run it again and follow up.

One question, I have read a few times and seen a few different answers. I have noticed this on almost every type of forum I read, so I always ask a few times and weigh the answers.

I always toss the first 250ml of every FIRST run I do. Do I need to toss the first 150-250ml of EVERY run or just the FIRST and FINAL run?
Thanks!

heeler
04-03-2012, 01:54 PM
The first run is the usual answer... but in my opinion, I toss what I consider foreshots every pass through the still...now MY explaination.......
heat is how we capture ethanol or hooch, and every time you heat up your distillate and send the liquid through that temp range it will indeed vaporize more of the things I dont want to keep. In my opinion tossing 100mls the second or third time is very little for peace of mind. But for as many that dont there are prolly just as many that do, so keep that amount seperate until the next day and givera good sniff and see if its worth keeping in your mind. Again keeping that small amount and consuming it wont kill you buuuuuuut I'll pass thankyou.

texaswhitewolf
06-18-2012, 05:08 PM
i just started my frist sf wash in a long time 4 in sf in the bottom of a 18 gal rubber made tub 15 lbs sugar poured two gals hot water to mix sf and sugar top 15 to 16 gals water add brakers yeast just knocked a 2 in tall head down and its just bubbleing away

texaswhitewolf
06-19-2012, 07:43 AM
just looked in on her she just bubbleing away all nice and warm smell good to much old lady dont like it but it keeps me busy she happy

texaswhitewolf
06-19-2012, 12:01 PM
scine the back thing start she works 5 day a week 8 to 5 but im happy cause god know i need free time lol

texaswhitewolf
06-19-2012, 12:59 PM
lmao women need out the house we go crazy if i had to see her every sec of the day weekend are ok cause we both drink lol time pass easlyer that way

texaswhitewolf
06-19-2012, 01:15 PM
lol mine gives those looks

Fusefinder
06-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Yep you fortunate. Mine dont drink All she knows how to do is nag..lol. J/k she is a great lady. Keeps me straight partially.

I gonna guess everyone here has a woman with 3 out of 4 of those qualities...not saying which one is missing...I kinda think a few of those they rotate on a regular basis...just to keep us guessing!

texaswhitewolf
06-19-2012, 01:36 PM
true true lol

Shinejunky
06-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Ain't it funny how fresh bread smells so good to a woman but my mash(smells like bread to me only better ) smells so bad to my little lady.

texaswhitewolf
06-19-2012, 07:03 PM
i think it smell like a sweet bread

Fusefinder
06-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Yeah wimmen are odd creatures. Know my Little Bride nagged for three days for stinking up the house when I was busy boiling up some sugar in the backset on the kitchen stove. She kept on repeating..This place smells like a brewery..blah blah blah. Now she has stunk up the worse burning the pintos etc. She dont seem to notice them kinda smells.

Funny how that double standard works isn't it :rolleyes:

texaswhitewolf
06-20-2012, 11:05 AM
but we do it so good lol.

texaswhitewolf
06-20-2012, 11:31 AM
hey checked my sf last night to see how the sg falling droped by half in just a day

texaswhitewolf
06-20-2012, 12:30 PM
just checked it damn thing is down to 1.010 this girl is movien fast as hell

texaswhitewolf
06-20-2012, 02:57 PM
see i heared of 4 to 5 day ferments but i dont know what this doing lol. going to be ready alot faster than i thought

Shinejunky
06-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Had some of bigwheels (recipie) jack Daniels chips whiskey this weekend that stuff is real good, headed down to the piggly wiggly to get some of those chips ASAP

texaswhitewolf
06-20-2012, 06:40 PM
i tried the jack chips when i did my first rum it was good just what i wanted. hey shinejunky you said piggy wiggy where you from. LOL last time i saw one i was in mississippi

texaswhitewolf
06-20-2012, 07:01 PM
last one i saw it tx was in texarkana i was that was the earlyer 90s

texaswhitewolf
06-20-2012, 08:01 PM
closet heb to me is in beaumont. we just got a wally world

texaswhitewolf
06-21-2012, 08:12 AM
fired up my girl today running first sf in years collecting foreshoot now hopen she likes this one lol

texaswhitewolf
06-21-2012, 08:41 AM
lol it called to much damn free time im still collceting foreshoot right now

texaswhitewolf
06-21-2012, 09:22 AM
i hope the best for you the stuff i got come off now is about a 125 proof just collected first pint lol

texaswhitewolf
06-21-2012, 10:46 AM
im about to run a sec wash im putting that back in

texaswhitewolf
06-21-2012, 01:01 PM
lol already got my sec gen going backset in the sec runs goin know still on first pint

texaswhitewolf
06-21-2012, 02:06 PM
lol that first run did great

scotty
06-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Is there flavor gotten from using back set??

Shinejunky
06-21-2012, 02:21 PM
i tried the jack chips when i did my first rum it was good just what i wanted. hey shinejunky you said piggy wiggy where you from. LOL last time i saw one i was in mississippi

Deep south Ga. Yep got pigs (hoggly wogglies) everywhere

Shinejunky
06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Got lots of the wild ones(hogs that is) around too

texaswhitewolf
06-21-2012, 02:33 PM
lol i dont think ive been out that way in 10 or 9 yrs had fun when i saw the firework store was open year round lol

texaswhitewolf
06-21-2012, 04:24 PM
they hurt them all over around here

bigwheel
06-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Yes..it just aint right. Poor little guys.

texaswhitewolf
06-21-2012, 06:33 PM
they need to stop pulling us over lmao

texaswhitewolf
06-21-2012, 07:09 PM
lmfao good one big

texaswhitewolf
06-22-2012, 07:38 AM
lol my old lady had a fb everyone bugged me for months to make one fanilly did and the only thing i do is play dumbass games lol do you know theres like 11 Gomer Pyle on there to lol

Fusefinder
06-22-2012, 09:15 AM
A few questions bigwheel on your Patent pending whiskey from shine recipe:

Does the charcoal flavor, filter or mellow?
Do you keep it 120-130 proof or dilute it again once it has darkened?
I haven't had much luck with the toasted oak..a little too strong & woodsy taste, but I started with 80-100 proof and no charcoal.

texaswhitewolf
06-22-2012, 07:23 PM
big do you add anything exter to your sec gen sf mash

Fusefinder
06-23-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm running 2 test jars:
80 proof Jack Daniels white oak grilling chips
100 proof same as above only toasted.
In the Freezer at night and in the sun by day. Cracking the lid once a day. A light yellow tint for 80 proof, amber for 100 proof

After a few days added chips, but mixing them. Pulled chips after a few more days color right, flavor close. Strong alcohol smell and taste now, gonna try covering with a coffee filter for a few hours a day. Did this for a week before cutting down to 80 & 100 proof.

Fusefinder
06-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Sounding good. I got over dosed on that stuff yesterday..whew. Glad it do not give hangovers.

If it did, then our backup hobby would be making Goody's Headache Powder from scratch. ;)

texaswhitewolf
06-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Naw I never did. Cant think what would help too much. Now I am a firm believer in using a bunch of sugar. I would not skimp on that if I was me. I do ten pounds for a five or six gallon wash each an every time. Bound to be right or smart folks wouldnt do it like that huh? The puss cake bread yeast cant cut it. The Lord gave us that version in order to make bread.

ok just trying i hread of people add calcium carbonate to rasie the ph .i made a 15 gal wash used about 25 lbs myself. true true. It my be for bread but us poor guys got to be thankful we can atleast get that lol

texaswhitewolf
06-23-2012, 08:51 PM
thats no joke my sen gen comeing now is going good i cant wait to see what happens one the run

texaswhitewolf
06-24-2012, 11:21 AM
i hope your runs go good big. let me know. hell out of those 8 pints i think i got about 4 or 5 left lol busy weekend. im hopen so she smell good

texaswhitewolf
06-24-2012, 01:15 PM
how many gals you going to run

texaswhitewolf
06-24-2012, 01:55 PM
yea that may be a little to much. damn right i would to lol

Shinejunky
06-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Finally made it down to the pig and picked up a bag of JD wood smoking chips gonna put some in some 130 proof white dog ran last week. This was sour mash off of an all grain batch of barley and corn.

How many chips in a quart mason ? How long does it take using the freezer / hot Ga sun method of aging ?

ohyeahyeah
06-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Finally made it down to the pig and picked up a bag of JD wood smoking chips gonna put some in some 130 proof white dog ran last week. This was sour mash off of an all grain batch of barley and corn.

How many chips in a quart mason ? How long does it take using the freezer / hot Ga sun method of aging ?

I have tried it and wasn't happy with the outcome. IMO you are better off with some oak staves you char youself. All grain is all too precious.

If you try it don't worry too much about a precise amount of chips. Just watch the color and taste test. The more you use the faster it "ages".

If you are trying to replicate JD they use a 80% corn grain bill with rye and malted barley making the other 20%. Their whitedog comes off the still at 70% and is filtered through maple charcoal that is made in house which is why it doesn't meet bourbon rules.

texaswhitewolf
06-25-2012, 02:07 PM
so your lime came out good big happy to hear

texaswhitewolf
06-25-2012, 02:39 PM
i may have to try it with orange

texaswhitewolf
06-25-2012, 04:32 PM
think i give it a try on the next run lol

Shinejunky
06-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Yep on the lime. Been following LWTCS advice on putting a tall skinny glass inside the fruit jar with a lime or lemon on top of the glass and fill it up to just below where it touches the fruit and put on the lid. Dont take long two days maybe...the lime turns pale and the hooch taste more like lime than the lime does. Prob would work with about any citrus fruit a person might like.

Do you cut the fruit? Does the hooch touch the fruit at all?

Shinejunky
06-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Its back to the pig for limes

Fusefinder
06-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Yep on the lime. Been following LWTCS advice on putting a tall skinny glass inside the fruit jar with a lime or lemon on top of the glass and fill it up to just below where it touches the fruit and put on the lid. Don't take long two days maybe...the lime turns pale and the hooch taste more like lime than the lime does. Prob would work with about any citrus fruit a person might like.

Are you using a pint or quart of clear of product per lime, how big of a container are you using for the whole combination (tall skinny glass with a lime on top)?

I have used the Brewer's best flavorings 1 oz per quart with neutral products, those work very well with fruit juice or punch for fruity type drinks, wife likes those quite a bit ;)

But I'm always looking to try something new that others have had good luck with!

texaswhitewolf
06-28-2012, 07:50 AM
got a gal of 120 proof form the striping run i did thinking of thorwing it and a gal of wash together then rerun

texaswhitewolf
06-28-2012, 07:50 PM
lol i got 3 pints of 160 2 more at 155 and 3 about 150 to 145 i had to rerun big the smell and taste wasnt that great but its goood now

texaswhitewolf
06-29-2012, 08:31 AM
sound good i just got mine up at wal mart

texaswhitewolf
06-29-2012, 09:15 AM
lol they usally got everything almost lol

texaswhitewolf
06-29-2012, 07:18 PM
i wish it was like that here.lol hey big let me know how it goes on the new wash.keep me up on the lime

heeler
06-30-2012, 11:22 AM
if you had a wort chiller you could cool it down in 10-15 mins and pitch your yeast.........nothin like modern appliances.

texaswhitewolf
06-30-2012, 01:42 PM
lol sound like you got it hope it kicks in for u

texaswhitewolf
06-30-2012, 04:15 PM
lmao sure i headed over there

texaswhitewolf
06-30-2012, 09:23 PM
the one i im going to get here is more it the same one u was talking about but its going to cost me more then 368 but thats because im going to get a better pot

texaswhitewolf
07-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Yea I'm getting the milk can one just the 8gal do

texaswhitewolf
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
thought about useing the bigger one for stripping runs and my small one for liquer run.. not sure big im nuts as it is squirel dont got nothing on me lmao. i cant say much i got to much time for myself just not much cash lol if i did id be building something . thinking of a big ass gokart

texaswhitewolf
07-03-2012, 07:40 AM
i hope so. lol no but good idea . was thinking of makeing one i could ride to the store on the back roads and trails put a tow hatch on the back so i can put a small tailer lol belive me ive done worse

scotty
07-03-2012, 07:49 AM
How did this thread get sooo long????

texaswhitewolf
07-03-2012, 09:08 AM
dumb crap draging out from me i think

scotty
07-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Think it must have to do with folks who are hung heavy tend to have long threads. Could be that anyway.

If you say so :D

dasorge
07-20-2012, 02:37 PM
I went to the feed store this morning looking for sweet feed corn. The 50 lb bags I found for sweet feed all have grain bi-products, roughage and a bunch of other chemicles. Is that the stuff one uses for a sweet feed recipe? The cracked corn has an additive for preservatives and the whole corn is just the corn. Is the sweet feed good to use for distilling and will the preservative (propionic acid) be ok with the cracked corn?

scotty
07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
I havent looked ar sweet feed in a couple of years; but i remember it not having preservatives..

When i went to the feed store, I just asked for sweet feed to be fed to horses. I seem to remember that anything for horses or deer could not have preservatives in it because these animals have very sensative systems.

Again i think i remember

dasorge
07-21-2012, 07:18 AM
After some thought and re-reading, I'm gonna pass on the sweet feed from feed store. Not sure about all the chemicles in the mix. Probrably will get the cracked corn and create my own mix of ingredients. Does this sound like a plan?

scotty
07-21-2012, 07:38 AM
After some thought and re-reading, I'm gonna pass on the sweet feed from feed store. Not sure about all the chemicles in the mix. Probrably will get the cracked corn and create my own mix of ingredients. Does this sound like a plan?

You have gotten me reading a lot on sweer feeds. It seems that sweet feed for horses uses vitamin e as a preservative and should be low on corn content---

Sweet feed for cows is somehow not suitable for horses.

I really dont have much more. I'm cncerned about preservatives in grains that will eventually prevent yeast from working when trying to ferment the beer or whatever

I have used flaked barley from the feed store with no problems. I'm due for a trip to the store soon-- It is 3 blocks away lol

ohyeahyeah
07-21-2012, 07:50 AM

Yup. You will have to grind the corn and mash it to convert the sugar using some kind of malt. The finer you grind your corn the higher your SG will be but the harder it will be to seperate the grain. Malt barley is the most popular ingredient for mashing. But malt extract can be used as well.
Rye and wheat are popular additions to many whiskey grain bills.

I know my feed store sells sweet feed for horses but also has mollasses coated corn I am assuming for cows. I stick with the feed corn for 12bucks a 50lb bag.

scotty
07-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Yup. You will have to grind the corn and mash it to convert the sugar using some kind of malt. The finer you grind your corn the higher your SG will be but the harder it will be to seperate the grain. Malt barley is the most popular ingredient for mashing. But malt extract can be used as well.
Rye and wheat are popular additions to many whiskey grain bills.

To me your remark about malt extract says that it can be used instead of malted grain in mashing. Is that what you are saying??? I need to find out what it is please:)

ohyeahyeah
07-21-2012, 08:07 AM
To me your remark about malt extract says that it can be used instead of malted grain in mashing. Is that what you are saying??? I need to find out what it is please:)

Its liquid syrup type deal extracted from malted barley used for making homemade beer. Unlike the powder malt which has its enzymes destroyed during the freeze dry process it maintains its enzyme integrity and is fine for mashing. My local brew store sells it by the quart. The stuff that comes in the kit comes with hops in it, you need the unhopped version. Its also used by some brewerys to make store bought beer. I was drinking some Warsteiner the other day and read the label suprised to find "malt extract" on the there instead of actual grain. Who knew.

It can also be used without grain to make whiskey. I used it one time to make an "irish" whiskey. I used three quarts of amber extract in each 10gal fermenter then added sugar to bring my SG up to the 12% likkor mark. Flavor was way to malty for my likings but i had friends tell me it tasted just like Dunhill or some such irish whiskey brand. Just to clarify its not my recipe but one i found online and gave a try.

scotty
07-21-2012, 08:44 AM
So you are saying that it must be the liquid not the dry to replace the malt/grain when mashing.:)

ohyeahyeah
07-21-2012, 09:37 AM
spray dried is ok for a flavor additive but no good for mashing.

scotty
07-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Acording to this article. niether dry or liquid malt extract is used for mashing.
If i am reading it wrong please show me where.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-malt-extract.htm

ohyeahyeah
07-21-2012, 10:59 AM
I don't see in that article where it says either is suitable or not for mashing. The article says what they are and how extract is made. Maybe i missed that part?

My understanding is the enzymes are killed in the drying process of spray dry malt. I don't see why the eznymes wouldn't survive the vacuum process of making malt extract, but could see how excessive heating could kill them.

Unless you are implying that the enzymes don't make it into the wort at all? Its not like once the barley they are mashing is done converting the enzymes all suddenly dissapear.

I can't claim to have ever used the liquid for mashing though. Always stick with 6 row.

ohyeahyeah
07-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Now when somebody figger out how enzymes can survive being turned into syrup and canned..kindly let me know. Thanks. I have a theory malt extracts highest calling is as an overpriced flavor booster.

Offer some proof as to the contrary. The recipe YOU followed called for malt extract. At the time you didn't know that spray malt had little to no live enzyme activity. Now you're an expert. Bah.

scotty
07-22-2012, 05:33 AM
These comments i have listed below really dont say anything direct as far as any malt extract being used in mashing in place of malted grain.
I've been readind a lot and DME seems to mean 2 diferent things- ie. dry malt extract and {diastatic malt extract ((MEANING dry containing enzymes))} I can not however find a recipe that uses extract of any kind as the source of enzymes for conversion.

JUST FOR SOME READING

FROM ((( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mash_ingredients )))

One syrup which is commonly used in the mash, however, is dry or dried malt extract or DME. DME is prepared by fully converting base malt, then draining the resulting mash, still including amylases, and evaporating it down to a high density. DME is used exclusively in homebrewing as a substitute for base malt. It typically has no diastatic power because it is all used up in the production process.

FROM ((( http://www.agriculturalproductsindia.com/processed-foods-snacks/processed-foods-malt-extract.html )))
Light Malt Extract - Liquid malt extracts can be used as a straight grain malt replacement or, when added to a conventional mash, as a brew extender. Liquid malt extracts provide a great start to any recipe, offering a carefully balanced formulation designed to provide the ideal base for your own recipe. In addition we also offer liquid malt extracts made using selected coloured malts to provide a darker base material for your beer recipes

scotty
07-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Perhaps the answer lies among these bazillion beer recipes

http://beerrecipes.org/

scotty
07-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Talking about corn. I have a book on making fuel from corn. It is the same as making alcohol for drinking. They dont ever sprout the corn but let it steep in 120 deg F. water for 48 hours((( they are talking about dried un milled /or cracked corn. Then they use commercial enzymes to do the conversion. STILL ALPHA AND BETA.
I'm waiting for a large plastic container so i can buy 50 pounds of flaked corn and store it.
Flaked corn will have the starch more easily accessable to the malt.
I want to mash with about 25% malted rye to get a burbon wash.

scotty
07-22-2012, 10:49 AM
No need to wait. Get to HD and grab a Brute. Hope the crockodiles..wild hawgs and pythons eat all the rats around your crib. Them critters can chew right through a thick plastic bucket to get to some nice corn. Found this out the hard way from a stint in the Duck food bizness in a previous incarnation.

The bucket stays indoors:D

fatboylo
07-22-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm with ya Ozark........if it smells good dirnk it!!!!!!!!:D

Dona
05-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Measure your sweet feed
transfer to a SS pot add 3 gallons of fresh water bring to 160-170 temp for 45-60 minutes
transfer to 6 gallon fermenter let cool to 80-90
fill fermenter to 5 gallon level with lukewarm fresh water
add yeast give it a fair stir
keep room temps at near 70
cover or use an air lock but watch for air lock blockage regularly
5-7 days strain well
add to the pot

I like the horse feed best as it has no additives for this recipe, some feeds do contain Medication you don't want so check the ingredients label

I've got a link to a similar recipe if you want but sugar is added.

I make for taste not volume or high proof.

Just an old mans drink ya know

If I and 5lbs of sugar to the recipe will this be ok.plus I am using whisky yeast.